If you’re considering selling your home, the question “how can I make more money from my house?” is at the top of your list. After all: whether you purchased your home as an investment property or not, you want to make money from the sale.
While your Castle REALTOR will maximize the amount of money you get for your home, there are a few things you can do to help. Even in a “seller’s market” it’s important to make sure your home is positioned to ensure prospective sellers are eager to make a top offer.
Tip #1: Ramp Up Your Curb Appeal
First impressions are vital. Make sure your home’s exterior looks up-to-par for that first look, since that initial feeling or impression will color how the prospective buyer views the rest of the home.
- Pressure wash the siding
- Touch up exterior paint
- Place a new welcome mat outside the front door
- Trim hedges and mow the lawn
- Edge the sidewalk
- Put down fresh mulch in flower beds
- Replace worn patio furniture cushions
Tip #2: Stage Your Home’s Interior
You guessed it: staging your house is crucial to getting top dollar when you sell. Staging your home can help showcase your house to its best potential and can help prospective buyers envision themselves living there.
The best things you can do are to depersonalize the space (i.e., remove family photos) and declutter—removing clutter will help the space feel larger and more inviting.
- Stash appliances and other items from countertops out of sight
- Swap out outdated hardware on kitchen cabinets for an easy facelift
- Scrub the sink and faucet
- Remove photos, homework assignments, kids’ artwork, schedules, etc. from the refrigerator
- Wipe down the front of the stove/oven, microwave, refrigerator, and dishwasher
- Remove pet bowls, beds, litter boxes, etc.
- Clear away any clutter and consider removing select pieces of furniture to give the space an open and spacious feeling
- Stash any family photos or personal items out of sight
- If you don’t have a home office, consider staging a spare bedroom or other space as a home office—an attractive feature in today’s work-from-home culture
- Declutter, make the beds, and remove personal items
- Buyers will want to see the storage space, so tidy up those closets (it’s a good opportunity to toss/donate/organize items prior to moving, anyway!)
- Clear away any medications, cosmetics, etc.
- Clean, clean, clean—no one wants to see soap scum, dirty grout, or a dingy toilet
- A new shower curtain, rug, and hand towel can easily elevate the look
If you don’t have the time (or inclination!) to stage your home yourself, we work with professional home stagers and can take care of it for you.
Tip #3: Invest in Tech
Technology upgrades like smart thermostats, smart door locks, and home security systems allow us to market your home as a “smart home,” something sure to catch the modern buyers’ eye. These are often low-cost upgrades and are generally easy to install. A few of our favorites include:
- Wyze cam home security cameras
- Schlage smart locks
- Nest Learning thermostat
- Philips Hue Smart Light starter kit
Tip #4: Get Current on Home Maintenance
It’s easy to fall behind on regular home maintenance like having your furnace and air conditioner serviced. Schedule an inspection and tune-up, giving your prospective buyers peace of mind and one less task on their to-do list after the purchase goes through.
Taking this one step further, you might consider having the roof inspected to give buyers added reassurance before things progress to the formal inspection.
In some scenarios, you may also consider going so far as to have a pre-listing inspection completed. Working with a home inspector before you even list the house will give you a jumpstart on any problem areas that might repel prospective buyers. This can also provide valuable information that helps us determine the optimal listing price.
In La Crosse, WI we recommend James Haugen with Advanced Home Inspections, Aaron Slavey with Integri-Spec Inspections, and LeRoy Holm with Tri-State Home Inspections.
In Winona, MN we recommend Aaron Slavey with Integri-Spec Inspections.
Tip #5: Trust your REALTOR’s Pricing Strategy
We eat-drink-breathe-LIVE real estate. We get to know your home, and we conduct extensive research before making a recommendation for what to price your home at. Why is getting the listing price right so important? The first five to seven days that your home is on the market are when it will generate the most interest—it’s when the most people will be looking at it. If it’s absurdly overpriced (even in a seller’s market)—prospective buyers won’t even consider viewing it and other REALTORS will be hesitant to show it. Trust us: we’ll make sure your home is competitively priced to attract the most interest, and offers, right away.
. . .
When you work with a REALTOR from Castle Realty to sell your home, you can feel confident knowing that we’ll put our years of experience to work for you, so you get top dollar for your home. Our agents will invite you to be as involved as you want to be in the sale of your home, whether that’s implementing simple staging tips or making larger renovations. Know that we’ll be here for you every step of the way. Contact us today to get started, or request your free home valuation!